Monday, September 2, 2013

AND REAL FAIR JUDGES SAY - - - ©


            Those of you that are regular readers know I don't do a lot of back patting for favorite wineries or rate wines. My intent to promote the Central Coast, keep you up to date on industry trends and events in which you might want to participate. One of the big regional events is the Mid State Fair. California has a state fair company that plans the actual State Fair but several area wide mini-fairs. Most wine lovers have heard of the LA, Orange County and State Fair wine competitions due to awards being touted in wine advertising. Each of the regional fairs has its own area tasting as well.

The Mid State event is held in Paso Robles and takes up about half of July. A mix of animals, rodeo, bad-for-you food, a midway and tons of music, it is a very well attended operation. Over 411 thousand attended this year, nearly 68K bought concert tickets (there are free stages as well), concessions raked in over a million dollars and half again that much with the carnival. Livestock sales were in excess of $2MM!  Next year's dates will be Wednesday the 16th through Sunday the 27th of July. The web portal is midstatefair.com.

So, like I said, it is a popular happening and no less so for wine. The judging is open to wineries that can label their product as being Central Coast (or subset) AVAs (American Viticultural Areas). This is bounded by San Francisco County on the north and through Ventura County to the south for counties bordering the ocean. It encompasses over 360 wineries and produces fifteen percent of California's wine grape production. Given that, it is no surprise that the wine competition had 543 entries plus another 157 home wine makers in the non-commercial event. Olive oil, a growth industry in the region had 83 participants and home brewers - a resurgence of which I wrote about recently - had 96 entries.

Now to my point of the disclaimer above. Nearly thirty five years ago, after a stint in wholesaling for a portfolio that covered the cream of the Napa/Sonoma labels, I began Oenotechnique and offered consulting services, staff training, purchasing and inventory controls, and wine list design for restaurants. One day a guy named Gary Eberle happened to dine at one of my accounts and invited me to check out the Paso Robles area on my next California visit. I did a lot of fests and trade shows in those days, seeking less known wines of quality that I could feature for my clients operations. I took Gary's advice and tied a client show & tell trip to a look at Santa Barbara. Neither area had a lot of wineries in those days but I wanted to expand my offerings and have more depth of California selections.

I liked what I tasted and still do. When I  think of the growth in the region, I didn't need all my toes and fingers for SLO and Santa Barbara counties then. Now I could pick a winery a day (including Monterey) and barely get through the available labels! I'm going, therefore, to break with my normal reluctance to indulge in back patting and happily note that the Central Coast Winery Competition "Winery of the Year" was awarded to TA DA - Eberle Winery. The award recognizes the winery that provides the most exceptional selection of wines to the panel. At least five wines must be submitted to qualify. Gary's winners included: Cotes -du Robles Blanc '11, the 2012 Muscat Canelli and Viognier winning Gold and Best of Class, another Gold for the '09 Cabernet and Silver awards for four others, plus three Bronze medals. Those included varietals such as Barbera, Sangiovese and blended Cabernet Syrah. Nice job from a winemaker that has supported and promoted the industry for all the years since we first met. If you are interested in obtaining some of these medal winners, the web site (eberlewinery.com) has an on line store. Or you can take advantage of one of the increasingly rare tasting rooms with complimentary sampling and stop by any day of the week, along Hwy. 46 E in Paso Robles.

No comments:

Post a Comment